Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Spontaneity.

Not with an exclamation mark--the idea didn't come to me with any pomp or pizzazz--but with a period.

Lounging around the house this morning, very determinedly avoiding homework, I had that awful sort of lugubrious sensation, where you just don't feel motivated to do anything. For me, this feeling usually comes by around the same time as I start to get hungry, as I tell myself that I am obviously not going to get anything productive done until I have some food in me. Here we get to the root of the issue--as a teenager, I am very close to starving approximately 97.3% of the time, so I spend a great deal of my time in transition between meals. That, my friends, is why I never get ANYTHING done. 


However, this morning I was able to put my distraction to good use; I booted up the dinosaur [my computer] and typed in "yummy things to eat for breakfast". I was immediately bombarded by baked goods, yet nothing  really caught my fancy. And then--like the token slow-mo moment in every romantic comedy in existence--biscuits. 

I had fully intended to have a very careful schedule planned out, each meal methodically organized and documented, but.. well. Carpe diem. Yolo. 

                                          Cinnamon Sour Cream Biscuits

-2 cups all-purpose flour  
-4 tablespoons white sugar
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup sour cream
-2 tablespoons milk
-1/2 cup dried cranberry

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).


2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, and salt. Cut in margarine. Make a well in center. 

3. Add sour cream, 2 tablespoons milk, and raisins, stirring till just combined (add a bit more milk, if needed).

4. On floured surface, gently knead 8-10 stokes. Pat dough to 1/2" thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter, dipping in flour between cuts. Place on baking sheet.

5. Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly on wire racks.
                                                                 

>>I hope this gives a sense of what biscuit-making entails<<































>>The final product<<






























>>I chose to devour mine with butter and jam, but they're just as good on their own<<
Taken as a whole, the process was relatively painless. There were a few daunting moments [like when I found out what a pastry knife was] where I felt slightly threatened; despite these brief exceptions, I was reassured by the process and encouraged by the results. I was even mildly impressed with myself. 

With the wisdom of my lovely mentor [mom], I succeeded in not making burnt little hockey pucks out of my biscuit batter. I even managed to set aside enough to freeze and  bake on some other morning in the near future! My one obvious mistake was forgetting nutmeg.. but that was an addition to the original recipe anyway, so I'll call it even. 

One adventure down, many more to come. Hey look, I even cleaned up!
 >>Proof<<

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment